Colon Cancer/colon cancer

I hope someone can give me some answers....I am 61 yrs old and a non smoker, married....this has been going on for some time...over a yeari...I was diagnosed quite a while ago with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and now I have developed the following...I have bloody ribbon-like stool, mucousy and blood is present, I don't really notice it in the bowl but wheni wipe...when I have bowel movement sometimes its ribbon-like, sometimes just little bits, and sometimes its just gas and mucousy with blood...I practically live on Imodium for diarrhea...I hate to go anywhere because I don't know when or where I am going to need a washroom...I don't know if these are the symptoms or not...but everything I've read points to colon cancer...if so...what is the next step...please, I can't bear to go for a colonoscopy...and, if long.......

You ask for help but then tell me that colonoscopy is off limits. However the ONLY thing I CAN  recommend is a colonoscopy! It is possible that you have a colon cancer but there are also other much more benign possibilities (hemorrhoids, proctitis etc.). The ONLY real way and definitely the best way to find out is a colonoscopy (I have one myself every year now for 5 years) and it is really not difficult! So please do have one and we will know what to do! Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience with regards to this cancer.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions in these categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer.

I'm a medical doctor and a specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.