Colon Cancer/My dad living with Cancer

QUESTION: Hi there my dad was recently diagnosed with stage four colon cancer. He had his surgery to remove a massive tumor from the right side of his colon. The cancer we found out two weeks later has spread to his liver, lungs and now his stomach. It just seems to be spreading so quickly. The liver has many many nodules. Chemo started about two months ago. The cancer has mutated and he only will qualify for first line treatment. He is only 64 years old and was never sick a day in his life.
I know there is no cure and that his treatment is strictly palliative. The oncologist said the dreaded word MONTHS to our family. I am full of sorrow and we all are grieving. My dad still seems strong although not as he once was. He has lost 26 pounds so far and he seems to be losing one to three pounds every two weeks. I am wondering what the end will be like. How do these patients usually die. Starvation for sure seems inevitable. Should we expect pain or simply exhaustion......... ???
Thank You

ANSWER: Cancers of this kind kill by the way they spread. In his case it has already spread to his liver, his lungs and his stomach. The most important organs here may be his lungs and his liver though I can not rule out his stomach either. His clinical picture will be determined by how fast his cancer progresses in these 3 individual sites. And it may also spread to new sites which will in that case complicate the situation. Without knowing how fast the progress of his cancer will be in these sites I would only be guessing. Only time will tell how this will turn out and how well he and his cancer will react to chemotherapy. So that too is an unknown factor here. Please do keep me posted!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

QUESTION: Thanks very much for your response. I think I am looking for answers that there remains simply no answer. Life can be so difficult at times.
My dad is now dealing with an infected portacath which has delayed his fourth chemo treatment.
I will keep you posted......

You are unfortunately quite right! Thanks! Yes please do so!

You can also reach me at:

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience with regards to this cancer.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions in these categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer.

I'm a medical doctor and a specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.