Colon Cancer/Tubulovillous adenoma with HGD

Question
I am 39 years old, recent rectal bleeding. Colonoscopy revealed a polyp the size of a golf ball on my distal sigmoid. Polyp was unable to removed during the colonoscopy. It was biopsied showing tubulovillous adenoma with at least high grade dysplasia can not exclude superficial invasion, mentions lots of inflammation.
My doctor recommends resection surgery to remove. Would you agree? Would it be better to have it taken out piece by piece through a series of colonoscopies?
I'm very worried about the surgery. I have heard its pretty bad.
Thank you for your time.

Answer
It HAS to be taken care of one way or the other! For answers about surgical technique please ask a surgeon (I'm a medical oncologist & radiation therapist). But it is probably best to have it removed in one piece by surgery! Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.