Colon Cancer/Stage iv signet cell colon cancer

Question
QUESTION: My husband just had surgery today for colon cancer and the surgeon gave me the unexpected news that he is very advanced and the outlook is very bad. He has stage iv signet cell colon cancer with peritoneal seeding throughout the abdomen. He is 48 and otherwise relatively healthy although he is now the 3rd generation to have colon cancer (his father and grandfather).  We have three children... Aged 9, 12 and 15. Is there truly no hope? How long can chemo prolong his life?
Thank you

ANSWER: Signet cell colon cancers are usually more aggressive than the common variety. The way his cancer is growing as you have described it supports this condition. A stage 4 colon cancer - it's stage is supported by the observed findings you describe - is at present not curable and eventually fatal. However with chemotherapy the survival time MAY be extended. The longest periods I know of with colon cancer and chemotherapy are around or a little more than 6 years. It is doubtful however if any of those was a signet cell cancer. So here the time may be shorter. On the other hand chemotherapy develops all the time and results are getting better. So it is impossible for me to estimate with any certainty the probable survival time of your husband. And besides no result can be guaranteed. We can but try and hope for the best! I am sorry I can not provide a sure or better answer!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

QUESTION: Thank you for the compassionate reply.

My husband's surgeon has recommended aggressive chemotherapy for 6-9 months (12 rounds) and a HIPEC procedure after that. I've been unable to find information on HIPEC success rates, only information that describes the procedure, and where it is performed.  We live in the northeast USA and are considering Sloan-Kettering in NY and Tufts Medical in Boston.

thank you once again for your time.

Answer
I think you have been given good advice and both these centers have a good reputation! Good luck!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.