Colon Cancer/Advanced Stage 4 Colo-rectal Cancer

Question
Hi, On January 23 2013 I was diagnosed with Advanced stage 4 Colo-rectal Cancer. I had surgery on February 4 2013 which involved the removal of part of my colon, part of my small intestine, a complete hysterectomy and some tumors.
I started Chemo Therapy on March 11 2013 and scheduled for 12 Chemo Sessions.
After 10 Chemo Sessions I was told that I needed another surgery to remove part of my liver which had lesions on it. On August 12 2013 I underwent another surgery where they removed part of my liver, appendix and other tumors that were previously in operable.
After the 2nd surgery I was told that I was "Cancer Free".  On November 4 2013 3 months after my second surgery I had a cat scan. Still no signs of cancer, "but" there was a small lesion on my left lung. My 2nd cat scan on February 5 2014 showed that the lesion had grown. I just had a pet scan on February 21 2014. On the repost is says that I have a 1.2 x 0.8 nodule in my liver and the maximum SUV is 3.2. It also says that the Possible etiology is Primary or Metastatic Neoplasm. Does this mean there is a possibility of recurrent Cancer or New Cancer?
Thank you so much for your input.
Lisa

Answer
Your cancer was a stage 4 already when you had your operation in February last year. No one can promise freedom from cancer in such a situation regardless of treatment.  Your question must be answered with that it is possible that you have a recurrent cancer. A new cancer is also possible. But a recurrent cancer is more probable. I am sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.