Colon Cancer/Diet

Hi C.G.
I have a family history on my Dads side. They were all big drinkers and meat and potato guys. I have tried to eat better than they did, but I still enjoy a drink, although I have cut back to weekend beers from hard liquor.
How much is liquor intake a factor? Also, I am cutting back on my fats, and have heard that cutting back on sugar helps too?

Well, alcohol is not good for you - except maybe in quite small amounts like one - not big - glass of wine per day! But with regards to colon cancer there are apart from these general advice with regards to alcohol and similar general diet advice no with any real certainty accepted dietary advice. So instead I am going to tell you what you SHOULD do if you have a strong family history of colon cancer. That is to start regular, at least once per year, colonoscopy check ups. these should start at least when you are in your early 50ies. If your family has had early colon cancer cases even earlier. This is important so do it! That way a tumor can be caught early enough to be cured. I do this myself! Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience with regards to this cancer.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions in these categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer.

I'm a medical doctor and a specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.