Colon Cancer/Cancer

Question
QUESTION: Hi
My son in law has had bleeding since a year
He had his tests
He is diagnosed with rectal cancer
He feels v week and has nausea with headaches
His appetite isfine
Pls i am not a doctor but i need toknow how dangerous it is and if treated how successfulthe trea tment is
Also how long does the treatment take
Thanx

ANSWER: Since it is a cancer it IS very dangerous and at least potentially lethal. Without knowing much more of his cancer than I do at present it is not possible to evaluate exactly how dangerous it is in his case or exactly how his treatment should be done or how long it will take. However if he has been bleeding for at least a year I fear it may be rather advanced. In such cases - like his - preoperative radiation therapy may be used to increase the chances of success. Such treatment will take 4 to 6 weeks. Later surgery should be done - if possible. Later depending on how advanced his tumour proves to be chemotherapy may be added. Such treatment will take quite some time. This is what I can tell you at present. Please do keep me updated! Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

QUESTION: Thanx for yr reply
The report stAted the foll
Polyp size 3.5 and there was a question mark with ulcerative and adenomatous.
Kindly advise with this additional info
ThNx

Answer
Thanks! To be able to evaluate I do need to read his full colonoscopy & pathology reports and any available radiographic reports. You can copy tem here.

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.