Colon Cancer/your opinion

Question
Hello -  I am a 54 year old woman.  I eat healthy and work out 5 days a week.  I don't smoke.  I am 5'5" and weigh 105 lbs.
6 years ago I noticed very small streaks of blood on my stool so I had a colonoscopy.  It was completely clear.  I was told to come back in 10 years.  2 years later I noticed this again and my GI found internal hemorrhoids.  He banded them and I didn't seem to have any problems after that.  This year during my routine physical my Hemoglobin was slightly low (11.8).  My iron levels were normal.  Of course I worried that it was colon cancer.  My doctor has scheduled me for a colonoscopy in 2 weeks.  In the interim I had 2 additional blood work ups and my hemoglobin is now normal 12.8 (both work ups).  I also had two fecal occult stool tests and they were both negative.  I am just really worried and would like your opinion.  If my colonoscopy was normal 6 years ago what are the chances that this could be cancer now?  I was having really bad nose bleeds for several months and my doctor thinks that the low HGB was due to that.  She is not worried but wants to be sure plus she knows that I would just continue to worry about this.  The nose bleeds subsided in January (I saw an ENT and had blood vessels that need to be cauterized but haven't done it yet).  But is it a good sign that the last two blood reports showed my HGB was back to normal and the two stool tests were negative?  And that my first colonoscopy 6 years ago was normal?

Answer
Since there is no blood in your stool tests now and your hgb count is OK there is really no reason to worry. The small changes in hgb you have described happen often and are more or less normal. No reason to worry at the moment! However as you grow older there will be a higher need for regulat colonoscopies. I am approacing 70 and I do it regularly once a year. But I have also had radiation therapy for a prostate cancer and I do not want any more nasty surprises! Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.