Colon Cancer/Mucus

Question
I'm a 21 year old female. I live a relatively healthy lifestyle and I am of a normal weight.

For the past few weeks I've noticed mucus in my stools. There is no blood at all, just mucus.

I do have diarrhea regularly, but I also have an anxiety disorder which makes it difficult to differentiate between what is and what isn't 'genuine' diarrhea.

Apart from the mucus (and diarrhea) my stools are normal - of normal colour and consistency.

I have googled, but all the conventional reasons for mucus in the stool don't seem to apply to me. And of course, I'm worried about it.

Are there any other reasons a person could have noticeable mucus in their stools? And should I be worried?

Thanks

Answer
This is anyway not a cancer sign. So it is outside my area of expertise here. However if you really want to have this and your bowel checked including your diarrhea - since you live in the UK - you have to persuade your GP to send you to a gastro-enterology specialist for a colonoscopy. That way you will know if your bowel symptoms are only due to your anxiety or not. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.