Colon Cancer/Colonoscopy screening in patients with UC

I have had Ulcerative Colitis (left-sided) since 2003 (I am currently 30 years old). I had flare ups between 2003 and 2005 and had a full colonoscopy done in 2005.  since 2007 I have been completely off medication and it has been in remission for almost the entire time since. Nowadays I feel like I did before I even had it.

I am planning to get a colonoscopy within the next year as a preventative cancer screening since it's been almost 12 years.  My question is, does being in remission for this extended period of time help lessen my risk of developing cancer as opposed to say, a similar patient only whose colitis is constantly actively flaring, or even the general population?  I am not worried but I am merely curious.

Thank you for any info you can share with me!

Yes the activity of the colitis is of importance to the risk of colon cancer. The higher the activity the higher the risk. But even with little or no activity the risk is higher. And even without the diagnosis - no ulcerative colitis at all - colon cancer is one of the more common cancers among both men and women. Other kinds of diagnosis like Crohn's disease and polyposis coli do increase the risk too. So based on this you should have regular colonoscopies done. How often depends on the condition of your colon as found by the colonoscopies. I am close to 70 years old and have no history of ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease but I have had prostate cancer and rather intense radiation therapy for it. So I have chosen to have colonoscopies done once per year since also my rectum was heavily irradiated. This has been going on for 5 years now. 4 polyps have been found and removed so far. None with cancer but the program continues to be on the safe side and also to find any cancer development early enough to secure a cure. So I do support that you have regular colonoscopies done and what is found should determine when the next should be done. Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience with regards to this cancer.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions in these categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer.

I'm a medical doctor and a specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.