Colon Cancer/adenocarcinoma-colon biopsy

my father had a colon biopsy come back as adenocarcinoma- malignant.  there is no "stage" of disease on report.  during his hospital stay they did a CT scan and reported multiple spots on several areas:  liver, stomach, spine, and possibly kidney.

(before this biopsy was done-  he had been admitted to the hospital because of rectal bleeding due to blood thinners he had been put on the day before for a clot in his leg.)

After this cancer discovery he was informed by a doctor that he had very little time (a week) and that he could opt for biopsy of liver and chemo treatment but that it would be painful and only give him a few extra days.  so dad choose to go home with hospice care to die.   now that we are a week into this , dad seems to be stable...he is not deteriorating much more , other than he now has mod-excessive swelling in both legs,  he eats and drinks on his own, he is NOT happy about being stuck in bed.  His meds right now are .25ml morphine, Lorazapan 50mg  for anxiety and pain, he gets zolofft tablet at night - it helps him sleep and has helped with depression.  
I guess my question is did we get the right advice on what can be done...obviously the time frame they gave him was way off.  I'm worried that he really may have months or years and here we are preparing for death in a week.  and if he does have months/years then he needs to be able to do something than just lie there and wait.  he still has pretty good upper body strength.  we are not sure what to do about the blood clots in his legs:  the nurse told him originally that if they are in his legs they are probably developing elsewhere and the blood thinners are just to help keep these others from developing, but he can't be on blood thinners.  I forgot to say that he received 2 units of blood during his hospital stay.  his hemoglobin was 8.4 when he was discharged.(9/18)..there has been no blood rectally observed since last Friday, which was recorded by nurse as "scant".  He could be bleeding internally.
two days ago the Hospice nurse said that his gut sounds were good and the fact that he is passing gas is a sign there is no obstruction.  however today the same nurse said his gut sounds are not as good , he has passed a small amount of stool today so he still does not think that there is an obstruction.

Dad is 79 with a history of prostate cancer (removed) several years ago. (?10yrs)

I know you don't have a crystal ball...but in your opinion  do you think death is in days/weeks or months/years?

Thank you so much for your time and service.

God Bless,

No one can predict any surviving time in this situation with such precision! If those "spots" truly are cancer metastases - without biopsies we can not be completely sure - he is indeed a stage 4 colon cancer victim with a very grave prognosis. But I can not guarantee that even if they are cancer metastases that they are not slowly growing metastases from his prostate cancer and that he therefore will have a longer survival time. That is not very likely but not impossible. Even if indeed it is a number of colon cancer metastases he may survive for months in this situation. That is perhaps not very probable but again not impossible. The future is not easy to predict even in situations like this. However, your father has a colon cancer which in this situation it is very difficult or rather impossible to take care of surgically and it may also have spread to numerous other sites making it a stage 4 colon cancer case with a very bad prognosis even if the exact time line is impossible to predict. He should remain in hospice care since no curative treatment is possible at the moment. No one can tell you how long this may go on. But you should also be aware of that he may pass away at any moment due to a lung emboli from his blood clots that can not be treated either due to his situation. Sorry, I can not be more precise, no one can!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience with regards to this cancer.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions in these categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer.

I'm a medical doctor and a specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.