Colon Cancer/Drug useage in maintenance

Question
Metastatic colo-rectal cancer (to liver) in 2012 recurred last fall 2014 in the musculature outside the small bowel. Following 3 months of agressive IV therapy (Avastin, 5FU, Leucovorin, Irinotecan and Oxaliplatin) this recent bout of a tumor has appeared to resolve as results of PET/CT revealed.  The plan now is for Maintenance therapy on IV 5fu versus oral Xeloda.  What is your experience in the use of either of these drugs?  Does one do better that the other in maintenance?  How does the general patient respond to the use of either of these drugs?  Also once I am placed on a Maintenance schedule, do you see any advantage in the occasional use of any drug (Avastin, Oxaliplatin or Erbitux) to help keep the recurrence of a tumor as a minimal?  Thank you in advance for your insight and response.

Answer
I usually do not comment on drug schemes here for several reasons. I will only say this. If I was the patient I would probably prefer repeated full treatment schemes like the schedule you have had. But this is a matter you should discuss with your doctor!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.