Colon Cancer/Cancer diagnosed to my cousin

Ultrasound Abdomen
Ultrasound Abdomen  

Discharge note
Discharge note  
Dear Sir,

In continuation to the below email, my cousin had a very terrible last month and is again admitted in the hospital last. After having a long treatment of 20+ days in the hospital, he was discharged 7 days ago from the hospital but after 3 days he had a sudden attack where his diabetic level went to <30 and B.P was almost down to nothing so as the pulse rate.

He was given the treatment which is mention in the discharged note (attached). He is still in the ICU. I request you to have your kind expert opinion either he is out of the danger zone or not... I mean still the signs of cancer are there??? Please advise.

Dear Sir,

Good day to you. I need to have your kind suggestion on a issue recently diagnosed to my cousin. He has been diagnosed cancer a week ago by doctors here. He had some issues with his intestine since last one year but was not that serious. His physician prescribed him for the medical test, which is enclosed for your kind perusal. We need your advise what further tests are required for him and what should be the proper treatment for it as you are aware that cancer itself has huge psychological affect on human mind and this happens to my cousin as well, he is very disturb since he knows this. Awaiting your reply

Answer:   If I understand his pathology report correctly the specimen that has been investigated was something he vomited up. Is that correct? If that is correct what he has is most probably a gastric cancer - a cancer of his stomach. Not of his colon. Such a cancer has a bad prognosis. To get a better picture of his condition I do suggest s gastroscopy - an endoscopic examination of the inside of his stomach. A more detailed plan of any treatment can only be made after gastroscopy has clarified his situation but is usually mainly surgical often in combination with chemotherapy. Even with treatment prognosis is usually bad unfortunately.

Thanks! If I have understood everything correctly his whole stomach has been surgically removed. I remember his case quite well from the last time before this when you then asked about his case. He had a rather advanced stomach (gastric) cancer and he also suffers from diabetes. A total  stomach removal  - though necessary in his case - is a quite large and rather drastic surgical action, especially for a man with his other medical problems! So I am not surprised that it led to these consequences. His ultrasound shows that there is fluid in his abdominal cavity as well as in his pleurae (lung sacs). So there is fluid also in his chest cavity. These are not good signs. I told you last time that chemotherapy most probably also would be necessary in his case and my opinion on this matter still stands. However. If that is possible to do , due to his other medical problems, is an entirely different matter! It may well turn out to be impossible. Only his local doctors can tell you what is possible now for him in this matter. His kind of cancer also has a very bad prognosis regardless of treatment, so unfortunately I can not offer much hope in his case. I am sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
The language problem I have had with the payment site has been solved.

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience with regards to this cancer.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions in these categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer.

I'm a medical doctor and a specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.