Comic books (Comics)/comic books

1. Can you spot copright infringement?

2. MY comic book and graphic books are all taken to be scan from a company and put in pdf format. Is that copyright infringement, I pay for the comic book and graphic novels and I pay for the scanning in pdf as well?

3. I put content of comic books in microsoft word and notepad and I convert them to pdf in pdf converter as well. Is that safe or against copyright infringement?

1. Generally, if you haven't paid for it, it is a copyright infringement. In some cases a digital comic book may be free from the publisher, in which case it will be clearly marked as such.

2. If you buy comics and scan them for your own use, that is perfectly legal. But if you sell the scanned comics to others, then your are committing copyright infringement.

3. If it's only for your own private use, it is safe and legal. If you make money on selling them to others, it is illegal.

- Tue Sorensen

Comic books (Comics)

Tue Sørensen

I can answer questions about the *contents* of most superhero and sci-fi comics (and also fantasy/sword'n'sorcery like Elfquest and Conan the Barbarian) and also about the writers and artists, but not about the *condition* of your comics (i.e. I will not grade your comics or evaluate their value). I am very knowledgable about American comics in general, esp. Marvel, but also DC and indies. I cannot answer questions about Japanese manga comics, which I know very little about. The majority of my expertise spans from comics published between 1960 and 2000, but if you have questions about before or after those dates, I probably know enough to find the info you need.

I was an avid comic book collector from the early 1980s to around 2000 (and have still been buying little bits and pieces thereafter), and I still have my collection of 18,000+ comics, incl. some European ones (I hail from Denmark). I have been an active participant in comics fandom; I have written about comics in fanzines, APAzines, magazines and letter columns, and worked briefly in a comic shop (would love to have done that as a career, but here in Denmark we only have a couple of shops, so that opportunity is hard to come by). I have also attempted to write scripts for comics based on my own ideas - projects which I'm still working on.

I have studied Biology, English and history at university level.