Comic books (Comics)/General comic book questions

Question
For a homework assignment I need to interview an individual with knowledge in their field. Since you have a diverse knowledge of comics I thought I would ask you.

All I need is for someone to answer these six very simple questions that won't take more than 5 minutes of your time.

1. What do you think are the difficulties for someone who wants to get into comics?
2.Which company have you seen have the most sales in comics? (Such as DC,Marvel, Dark Horse, etc) and why do you think that is?
3. Do you think indie comics struggle to compete against the big 2? (Marvel and DC)
4.Has there been an increase interest in comics since the Marvel movies started to become popular?
5. What would you suggest for new comic book readers to pick up and get started?
6. What would you suggest for people who do not like superhero comics?

Thanks in advance for answering!

Answer

That depends what level you want to "get into". Professional levels are very difficult, but there are always possibilities. The best research here is into those big names in comics and how did they do it -people like Alan Moore, Alan Davies, Jim Lee etc etc, biographical data all relatively easy to find on the internet.

I'm not up to date with the latest sales figures but it's not hard to guess that Marvel would be doing well on the back of the continuing success of their movie series. There's more to it than just movie success, though: it has a lot to do with the "Marvel brand" that has been revitalised by the films. The Marvel magic is based on knowing what customers (comic book readers) really want. They did this very well in the 60s and only began to lose sales in the late 70s and 80s when they drifted from this and became a little "lost". The movies tapped into the successful actions of the 60s and have triggered a Renaissance for Marvel.

Yes, for obvious reasons.

Yes, see above. The movies are being written, produced and directed by those people who grew up on the comics back in the 60s and 70s. Even the themes and ideas of the films are drawn directly, in many cases, from the stories told in comics at that time.

Difficult, because the world of the comics has been re-structured, re-booted and re-imagined so many times. I would say pick up Avengers for a good overview of what's going on at Marvel.

Don't read them! Or take a look at Alan Moore's Watchmen or V for Vendetta as a kind of way in.

Comic books (Comics)

Grant Hudson