Comic books (Comics)/Name Change

Question
Hello:

Do you know when the action comic book entitled: "Turok Son of Stone" changed to "Turok Dinosaur Hunter"?  It is or was published by Gold Key. Is this title still published?

Is this the first issue when the title changed? See the following:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/06/cover-variance-turok-the-dinosaur-hunter-

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Hi, Kenneth - thanks for your question!

Turok was originally published by Dell, starting in 1954. Dell was a sub-print of Western, who owned Dell, Gold Key, Whitman and the character. In 1962, Gold Key took over as publisher.

When Dell, Gold Key, Whitman and other Western Publishing all went defunct in 1984, the rights were up for grabs. Those rights, as well as rights for Magnus, Robot Fighter and Solar, Man of the Atom were sold to a new comics company named "Valiant", which began publishing in 1992 and started their first Turok title in 1994. At that time, Turok, Dinosaur Hunter became the name of the comic because they felt it fit the "man out of time" element they were writing.

Acclaim now owns Valiant and whenever they publish new books, the sobriquet is still used.

You can look through the galleries on this page to see information about all the publishing (US & International included) versions of Turok:

http://www.comics.org/series/name/turok/sort/chrono/

Hope that's helpful!

Pax, harmonia,

Brian G. Philbin
www.metropolisplus.com

Comic books (Comics)

Brian G. Philbin