Comic books (Comics)/Comics supplies history

Question
Hello,

I work in a comics shop and a customer posed a question I had never thought of before. When did comics bags and boards for storage and preservation become widespread? I suspect it was either the late 60s due to the introduction and growth of fan conventions, or post-Mile High Collection with the growth of direct market shops in the late 70s/early 80s. Those are just guesses, though. Can you shed any light on this?

Answer
Hello Dan,

I didn't know the answer to this - my own first encounter with bags and boards, AFAIR, was during the boom of around 1990. But I asked some older collector friends of mine, and they all say that they first started using them in the late '70s; '77-'79. One reports having seen an advertisement for them in a 1974 Overstreet Price Guide. So the '70s is definitely the decade where those things emerged!

I don't buy a lot of new comics anymore, but back in the '90s I eventually ended up polybagging all my comics (my collection, which I still have, number about 18,000 comics), and boarding a good deal of them as well. I guess, strictly speaking, a lot of those bags need replacing by now ... they seem to hold up well, though. :-)

- Tue Sorensen

Comic books (Comics)

Tue Sørensen