Comic books (Comics)/First Issue Comics

Are first issue comic books more popular and valuable than the following issues of the same comic book?
For example, would the very first issue of a "Fantastic Four" comic book would be worth more than a later issue?

If not, why?  

I thank you for your reply.

The quick answer to your question is yes, absolutely. As to any answer of this kind, however, there are exceptions.

One of the biggest is if a particular writer or artist - or combination - works on the title. For instance, the first issue of X-Men is worth quite a bit, but certain issues done by the team of Claremont and Byrne (especially X-Men 134, popularly known as the Death of the Phoenix) could be worth more. Likewise, Green Lantern 76 by O'Neill and Adams is worth more to some collectors than Green Lantern 1.

Generally speaking, there has to be a compelling appeal for an issue or series of issues to be worth more than the original starting issue. Also, if the publisher underestimates the popularity and doesn't do a large print run of a particular issue, that can also bump the value up significantly.

Please let me know if this answers your question, or if you need further information.

-- Spyder

Comic books (Comics)

J. Spyder Isaacson

I'm mostly a DC/Marvel fan, but can answer a wide variety of questions on pretty much anything but romance and sword-and-sorcery comics. Ask away and find out if I have the answer. (Even if I don't, I can probably guide you to where you CAN find it!) ***PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME*** to give you a value on comics - that is only possible by direct physical evaluation of the individual issues.

I've been a collector for almost 35 years of mostly (but not entirely) super-hero titles, with occasional forays into other types of comics. I also personally know a few comics artists/writers, and am VERY experienced with Web Comics as well.

Theatre Puget Sound, Magical Mystery Troupe, Snoqualmie Falls Forest Theatre, former board member of Centerstage Theatre Conservatory.

Miscellaneous national defense trade journals and science fiction/fantasy fanzines.

B.A. in Theatre Arts, Gonzaga University. Currently pursuing M.Ed. from Western Governors University.