Comic books (Comics)/horror comic

QUESTION: Hi.  Well, here it goes.  It was a horror comic in the early 70s.  I still remember the line: "Emmett, Emmett, you fool.  It wasn't me Amerita was keeping alive, it was you.  You died in that car accident twenty years ago!"  A guy thought a "Hindu hag" was keeping his old rich wife alive and if he could get rid of her (and his wife) he could run off with a younger woman."  Ring any bells?  I think in the same magazine a fellow named Cecil Durant fell in love with a girl in his dreams and bought a music box that would make her real.  Strange I can remember these names of characters, but not the name of the book.  I know its a long shot but is a classic in my childhood.

ANSWER: Hi Aaron,

I am sorry, but I have not been able to discover the answer to this question. I asked about it in a forum of 70s comics fans, but they came up blank. One person said that there were many, many horror comics of the era that contained plots and elements along these lines. Best guess is that it might have been a reprint of an old EC comic, but that's as close as I got. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Try putting the question to an EC comics fan group on Facebook or elsewhere.

- Tue Sorensen

QUESTION: Thank you, anyway.  As a follow up, in the comic I think there was a host (kind of like a crypt keeper) with a gargoyle sidekick.  Do you recall any such character?

Well, most of the old EC comics did indeed feature a crypt-keeper and a vault-keeper as hosts - so that doesn't really narrow it down a whole lot... :-/

- Tue Sorensen

Comic books (Comics)

Tue Sørensen

I can answer questions about the *contents* of most superhero and sci-fi comics (and also fantasy/sword'n'sorcery like Elfquest and Conan the Barbarian) and also about the writers and artists, but not about the *condition* of your comics (i.e. I will not grade your comics or evaluate their value). I am very knowledgable about American comics in general, esp. Marvel, but also DC and indies. I cannot answer questions about Japanese manga comics, which I know very little about. The majority of my expertise spans from comics published between 1960 and 2000, but if you have questions about before or after those dates, I probably know enough to find the info you need.

I was an avid comic book collector from the early 1980s to around 2000 (and have still been buying little bits and pieces thereafter), and I still have my collection of 18,000+ comics, incl. some European ones (I hail from Denmark). I have been an active participant in comics fandom; I have written about comics in fanzines, APAzines, magazines and letter columns, and worked briefly in a comic shop (would love to have done that as a career, but here in Denmark we only have a couple of shops, so that opportunity is hard to come by). I have also attempted to write scripts for comics based on my own ideas - projects which I'm still working on.

I have studied Biology, English and history at university level.