Comic books (Comics)/PUGGY comic strip plate

puggy plate
puggy plate  
I recently bought some things at auction and in a box I found a lead plate for printing a comic by the name of "PUGGY".  It is a four panel strip and is in pretty good shape overall. In it the boy (Puggy) comes in with dirty hands from making mud pies and mom sends him to wash up.  When asked if his hands are clean he states they are not but that he has at least got them to match. The cartoonist's first name i Horace, but the last name is obscured.  I have done some searching online and been unable to find info on the strip "PUGGY" and was curious as to when and where is ran.  Any info could share would be appreciated.

Hi, Brook - thanks for your question!

While newspaper strips are a bit out of my wheelhouse (my category is comic books, rather than strips), I do know that Horace T. Elmo is the cartoonist you're seeking. While somewhat obscure, Elmo did create a couple of his own comics syndicates - Elmo Features and Lincoln Syndicate - and had tried his hand at a few strips, as well as having done some very brief work in comic books.

His heyday was in the mid 1950s and this strip existed in the early-to-mid 1960s alongside another of his strips, "Tell Me". Puggy was published locally by the News Reporter of Hubbard, Ohio.

Hope that's helpful!

Pax, harmonia,

Brian G. Philbin

Comic books (Comics)

Brian G. Philbin

I`ve been collecting comics for over 40 years and am able to answer most questions regarding comics, creators, fandom and the industry from the Golden Age through to today`s comics, with an emphasis on super and action heroes and most of my expertise ranges in the Silver to Modern Ages. My expertise lies in DC Comics/National Periodical Publications, although my general knowledge extends well into Marvel, Tower, Archie, Charlton & many of the "Independent" companies that began in the late 70`s & 80`s. I do have some knowledge of the Western, Funny Animals, Romance and other genres, but to a lesser degree, so please don't grade me on specific knowledge of these areas if you choose to ask me questions on those topics. For questions related to or similar to "How much are my comics worth?", please see my website, which will provide quick answers and tools for you to obtain those answers at:

I have been a comics reader/fan for over 42 years now and have followed industry trends from distribution to creation to fandom to retail and back again. I have had articles and letters published in Comic Buyers Guide, Comic Book Marketplace, Comic Effect, have appeared on several comic book podcasts and have several websites dedicated to comics at:

If there's a question I don't know the answer to, I usually know who to ask and have been providing online information to a wealth of inquirers for over 10 years now. I'll do my utmost to answer your question, whether it is simple or in-depth, as long as it isn't: "How much are my comics worth?" - that question can be answered by visiting my page at:

Basics of Comics Collecting

Comic Buyers Guide, Comic Book Marketplace, Comic Effect and opinions & writings mentioned or featured on several podcasts.

Baccalaureate of Science, Eastern Michigan University Panelology Studies w/ Robert Beerbohm, Mark Evanier, Scott Shaw, Ron Goulart, Jim Steranko, Roy Thomas and Q & As with Bob Rozakis, Elliot S. Maggin and John Byrne.