Comic books (Comics)/comic book scripts

Mr. Sorensen:

Does Marvel or DC purchase comic book scripts? Does any one else? You wrote that you are working on scripts, but once finished, is there a best place to sell them to?
I have an idea for Superman comics.

Hello Demetrius,

No, unfortunately Marvel and DC do not accept unsolicited comics scripts. If you want to be a comics writer, you need to start at a smaller company first, and find some artists to work with, and have your stories published there. Then, the big companies might see your work (or you can send it to them to show them what you can do), and only then can you be hired by Marvel or DC. Unless of course you are friends with an insider - a good social network is always a helpful thing.

Comics writing should be seen as a long-term career. Having an idea for one story is not enough; you need to have many ideas for many stories, and create some good characters of your own. And you probably need a lot of practice before you are good enough for Marvel or DC to hire you.

Good luck,
- Tue Sorensen

Comic books (Comics)

Tue Sørensen

I can answer questions about the *contents* of most superhero and sci-fi comics (and also fantasy/sword'n'sorcery like Elfquest and Conan the Barbarian) and also about the writers and artists, but not about the *condition* of your comics (i.e. I will not grade your comics or evaluate their value). I am very knowledgable about American comics in general, esp. Marvel, but also DC and indies. I cannot answer questions about Japanese manga comics, which I know very little about. The majority of my expertise spans from comics published between 1960 and 2000, but if you have questions about before or after those dates, I probably know enough to find the info you need.

I was an avid comic book collector from the early 1980s to around 2000 (and have still been buying little bits and pieces thereafter), and I still have my collection of 18,000+ comics, incl. some European ones (I hail from Denmark). I have been an active participant in comics fandom; I have written about comics in fanzines, APAzines, magazines and letter columns, and worked briefly in a comic shop (would love to have done that as a career, but here in Denmark we only have a couple of shops, so that opportunity is hard to come by). I have also attempted to write scripts for comics based on my own ideas - projects which I'm still working on.

I have studied Biology, English and history at university level.