Comic books (Comics)/Questions for a project :)

Question
Dear Mr. Younis,

My name is Mira and I am an 8th grader from Indonesia, currently working on a website for this annual competition called National History Day. This year, the theme chosen for us is "Exploration, Encounter, and Exchange in History," and my group and I have decided to make DC vs Marvel as our topic. If you dont mind, we would like to ask you to answer some of our questions regarding the topic of superhero comic books.

Here are our questions:

Which one would you say is better - Marvel or DC? Why?
What do you think is the idea behind creating Superman?
What influence does Superman have on the world?

We hope we didn't burden you with our questions :)
Thank you very much! and have a great day :D

Answer

I've always preferred DC Comics, because I feel their universe of superheroes are more household names. Everybody knows Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. The Justice League (and Super Friends) are well known to people, with The Flash, Green Lantern and other heroes recognised by quite a few people over some of Marvel's lesser known heroes.

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, the two young men who created Superman in the 1930s, were inspired by heroes of their time, like Hercules, Popeye, Tarzan, and others. While Superman's look was inspired by the circus strongmen of the day. Jerry and Joe, living through the Great Depression, saw a need for a hero... someone like them, someone who was mild-mannered and inconspicuous, but who was actually something more, some special underneath.

Superman inspires people. I've always aspired to be like Superman... Doing what's right simply because it's the right thing to do. Unlike other heroes who have motives brought about by the death of their parents or relative (i.e. Batman and Spider-man), Superman was brought up by his adoptive parents (The Kents) to use his powers to help other people. That, to me, is something more of us should aspire to be like.

Steve Younis

Comic books (Comics)

Steven Younis