Comic books (Comics)/Questions for a project :)

Question
Dear Mr. Hudson

My name is Mira and I am an Indonesian 8th grader, currently working on a website for this annual competition called National History Day. This year, the theme chosen for us is "Exploration, Encounter, and Exchange in History," and my group and I have decided to make DC vs Marvel as our topic. If you dont mind, we would like to ask you to answer some of our questions regarding the topic of superhero comic books.

Here are our questions:

What makes Marvel different from DC Comics?
Which one would you say is better? Why?
What are Marvelís influences to the comic industry? the world?
What do you think was the idea behind the creation of Marvelís first superhero - The Human Torch?

I hope we didn't burden you with our questions :)
Thank you so much! and have a great day :D

Answer

Check this out:

http://www.clarendonhousebooks.com/#!Marvel-Comics-and-Movies-Why-DC-can-never-e

Which one would you say is better? Why?

It's hard to say which one is 'better'. While Marvel focused on slightly more 'realism', DC had the original superhero Superman and icons like Batman and Wonder Woman. It's a matter of taste and mood.

That's too big a question to answer briefly. Marvel (Stan Lee) introduced a way of working, in which the writer would give the artist a broad idea of a story, leaving the artist to flesh it out with pictures, then handing it back to the writer for details and dialogue to be entered. That unleashed a lot of creativity, and was perhaps the biggest influence in the industry. As far as the world goes, who can say? Marvel's constant epic optimism has perhaps acted as a counter-cultural undertow to the increasing cynicism and gloom of the modern world. You can read more about all of this on my website (see link above) and in my forthcoming books like How Stories Really Work.

I've no idea! I suppose at that time superheroes were in their infancy and creators were playing with basic ideas. Fire, being such a powerful force, made a good basis for a hero. The Second World War, with its horrible inventions like the flamethrower and incendiary bombs, perhaps sparked something (pun intended).

Hope this helps!

Grant

Comic books (Comics)

Grant Hudson