Comic books (Comics)/Origins of Marvel Hardcover - 1st Edition - How many printings?

Question
Hello,

I just ordered a hardcover copy of a first edition Origins of Marvel.
However, I now realize that nowhere does it say the printing number in the product description.
Is it possible there were multiple printings of this first edition, and if so, how many?

Thanks

Answer
Both Books
Both Books  
Hi, Yaniv! Thanks for your question!

Yes, there are multiple printings of this book and two publishers.

1) Published by Fireside Books/Simon & Shuster:

1974 and 1975 saw publishing of two printings of the First Edition. The reason there isn't a running number of printings in the first printing of the first one (1974) is because it was expected to only ever have one printing. The 1975 version is the second printing. It was originally published as a softcover book, then book clubs wanted a hardcover version. Based on initial sales, the publisher obliged.

2) Published by Marvel Comics 1997

This is essentially a reprint of the original. No indications of differences from the first edition are noted and without owning another version I would have no frame of reference from which to make the comparison.

3) Marvel Comics 2010
Ibid

4) Marvel Comics 2011
Ibid

The 1974 is the original and most valuable, with the 1975 printing coming in a close second. Mind that the condition of the dust jacket is important to collectors.

There is a companion piece to this book entitled "Son of Origins of Marvel Comics" (also pistured in the attached) printed slightly later, which had a much wider distribution and larger printing. Therefore, less rare and less valuable but still sought after.

I hope you find this information of value.

Please feel free to ask any further questions you might have.

Pax, harmonia,

Brian G. Philbin
www.metropolisplus.com

Comic books (Comics)

Brian G. Philbin