Commercial Real Estate Investment/Quiet Enjoyment and Retaliation Violation in md

Question
Hello Jim, I have rented office space office 1 for 7 years and added office space 2 in 2010, so two years with both.  In 2010 the Property manager rented offices 3 and 4 to drug addict friends of his and they resided on the premises and did heroine, broke in my office, etc.  I both orally and written expressed concern for my safety and the community, but ignored. They eventually went into a rehab, and in June this year the AC broke and never repaired, although attempts made, no one knew how to fix it. Upon calling the property manager again to ask about the rest of the crack pipes and trash in the common hallway from the drug tenants, who had to pass my offices, I sell promo products, teeshirts, etc. spirit wear, I was told that I planted the drugs on the premises, and that the AC by law did not have to work. Although It has for 7 years, that was on Aug 31, a notice to quit and vacate was on door,I want to pursue for damages, but every attorney says no basis. This is so retaliatory and I have witnesses, and pictures of my offices. The past tenants were convicted felons, as well

Answer
Debbie:

I am sorry you had to get dragged into such a nightmarish situation.

Your situation demands that you immediately retain a skilled Landlord/Tenant legal specialist/attorney as events seem to be snow balling toward significant problems for you. Your landlord has a tenant problem that it cannot control - or does not wish to -  and is allowing it to get worse.

A skilled attorney can immediately get the landlord's attention focused on resolving this situation for you.  I am not an attorney and cannot give you legal advice regarding damages or if you have a good case for "constructive eviction".  I do not know how many attorneys are included in your expression "every attorney" in you correspondence, however, an objective attorney should quickly be able to end the spreading problems.  If you are short on funds, you might try contacting the closest law school to discover if they have any established law student organizations that could supply you with legal advice.   I assume you know to expect only subjective legal comments from the landlord or drug addicted neighbors.

Your lease problems have eclipsed any substantive help that I can provide you at this point.

Good luck.  Expect this situation to get worse before it gets better.  But do not wait to make meaningful efforts to mitigate your problems.

- Jim

Commercial Real Estate Investment

Jim Avancena, CPM