Commercial Real Estate Investment/Commerical Real Estate Sold

Question
I lease a building where I conduct business, I was just told by the new owner that I have 60 days to move.  This is news to me since I just signed a new lease with the old owner and remodeled the inside of the building. The previous owner never told me verbally or in writing that they were selling the building.  I know that there are landlord/tenants rights and responsibilities does this also apply to business tenants? or Is there anything I should be doing?

Answer
Lachelle:

Commercial buildings are generally purchased subject to existing leases. This means a purchaser is obligated to honor all of the terms and conditions of existing, bona fide leases.

I suggest contacting an experienced commercial real estate attorney in your area to have your lease reviewed. Provide your attorney copies of all correspondence from both the former landlord and the new landlord.

Very truly yours,

Steve

Commercial Real Estate Investment

Stephen A. Cross, CCIM