Commercial Real Estate Investment/Managing Jiffy Lube properties

Question
Jim,

We have several partnerships that own Jiffy Lube properties. These are pretty simple deals - we get the rents in one payment from Jiffy Lube /Shell, we pay in each property one land lease to a landlord, and then we distribute the profits to the partners. No mortgages. Five year leases that may be renewed. Leases are triple net.

The partnerships are :

One with two partners, three stores, all stores in NY

One with ten partners, 10 stores in NY, CT and MA

One with 8 partners, one store in CT

Any idea what a management firm would charge for

Monthly cash management
Accounting
Managing lease renewals and rent resets
Tax returns and K-1s.
All necessary state filings.
Handling sale or re-lease if Jiffy does not renew a lease??

Thanks,

John

Answer
John:

It is difficult to give you a simple answer.

Your description of the scope of the management describes an asset management/accounting role and property management/brokerage tasks.   Many items listed in your question - with the exclusion of lease renewals and sales -  are handled by an accountant or very experienced bookkeeper.   It may be prudent to hire a full service firm that has the capability to provide property management, leasing services, accounting and asset management services, etc.

You will need to contact several service providers, compare cost and determine which organization and style makes you most comfortable.   The charge(s) can be derived based on a flat monthly fee, a la carte extras, hourly charges, commission, percentage of collections, etc.    

The appropriate fee will depend upon the various market level fees established in each market area, the complexity of each state's records requirements, the amount of experience & savvy you desire, and the established reputation and level of success associated with the service provider.   A wise / experienced financial manager will be able to anticipate many connected issues advising you accordingly; but at a fee that will be on the higher end of the fee range.  

Good Luck,

- Jim  

Commercial Real Estate Investment

Jim Avancena, CPM