Commercial Real Estate Investment/Property tax included in the operating cost?

Question
Hi
I have a question regarding calculation of Administrative cost. The lease states that the tenant is to pay 15% of "all of the foregoing costs as an administrative expense" under the "operating costs".  Would this include the property tax or no?  Only possible clause under what is included is "the cost and expense of complying with all federal, state and local laws, orders, regulations and ordinances applicable to the Property which are now in force".  
Among the things that are excluded from the operating costs is "taxes on Landlord's business"

Thank you,
J.

Answer
Jane:

I wish I could definitive in my answer.  I have seen property tax included as part of administrative expenses and I have seen property tax excluded.   If the lease text does not specifically list "property tax" as one of the "foregoing costs" I would hope you could avoid this very heavy additional included charge.   

The concept of the 15% charge is to allow the landlord to have a way to collect a fee that it uses to pay the managing agent a fee for the work it does in maintaining the various management duties related to the paying the property's bills.   The logic of a 15% fee is fairly balanced until it comes to a massive lump cost like the real estate tax bill that really does not require the managing agent to go to exceptional effort to pay.   

The problem is that to successfully challenge the landlord's inclusion of this cost may require you to know what the "standard practice in the industry is" regarding this particular expense in your market area.  Contacting other property owners/managers/tenants and establishing such data could require extensive efforts.  If you know any tenants at nearby properties, you might contact them to discover if they pay an administrative fee for real estate tax.  Chances are their lease may not even assess such CAM costs or administrative fees on a similar basis.

The question you ask is one that has been disputed by great numbers of tenants for many years over many similarly questionable administrative costs.   Contacting a local Landlord/Tenant legal specialist might tell you how such a dispute; if litigated in your jurisdiction, would result.

If real estate tax is not stipulated as one of "all the foregoing costs as an administrative expense" you may have difficulty avoiding this 15% component of administrative cost.

Good luck,

-Jim  

Commercial Real Estate Investment

Jim Avancena, CPM