Commercial Real Estate Investment/Are rent increases cummulative if not enforced?

Question
Our landlord just gave us a 2 week increase notice for over 11%.  He had not increase any rent in the past 4 years of a 7 year lease.   Since the annual increase is capped at 3%, does that mean the cap for 4 years is 12%?  Or just 3%?  Is the increase cummulative?

Thank you.

Below is the relevant part of lease.

(d) The Minimum Rent set forth at Section 3(h) shall be adjusted commencing on the First Rental Adjustment Date and thereafter as set forth in Section 3(j) Adjustments, if any, shall be based only upon increases (if any) in the index. The Index in publication three (3) months before the Lease Term Rent Commencement Date shall be the ‘Base index. The index in publication three (3) months before each Rental Adjustment Date shall be the “Comparison index”
As of each Rental Adjustment Date, the Minimum Rent payable monthly shall be determined by increasing the initial Minimum Rent by a percentage equal to the percentage increase, if any, in the applicable Comparison Index over the Base Index . If the Comparison Index for any Rental Adjustment Date is equal to or less than the Comparison Index for any preceding Rental Adjustment Date (or the Base index, in the case of the First Adjustment Date), the Minimum Rent for the ensuing period shall remain the amount of Minimum Rent payable monthly during the preceding period. When the Minimum Rent payable as of each Rental Adjustment Date is determined, Landlord shall promptly give Tenant written notice of such adjusted Minimum Rent. The Minimum Rent as so adjusted from time to time shall be the “Minimum Rent” for all purposes under this Lease. If at any Rental Adjustment Date the index no longer exists in the form described in this Lease, Landlord may substitute any substantially equivalent official index published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The substitute index shall then become the Index hereunder. Notwithstanding the foregoing and anything stated elsewhere within this Lease to the contrary, any annual increase to Minimum Rent during the original Lease Term shall be capped at 3%.

Answer
Henry:

The text of this provision states that the "Landlord shall PROMPTLY give Tenant written notice of such adjusted Minimum Rent".  If you have not received WRITTEN NOTICE that your minimum rent had increased during the last 3 or 4 years then, as stipulated in the escalation process defined, "the Minimum rent for the (each annual) ensuing period shall remain the amount of Minimum Rent payable monthly during the preceding period."

In other words, if you did not get written notice from your landlord at the start of your second lease year that your minimum rent had increased - then your minimum annual rent stayed the same rent during the second year as you paid in the first year of your lease.  The same would be true for your next following year of occupancy in your premises, i.e., if you did not receive written notice from your landlord that your minimum rent had increased for the third year, then your rent remained the same as it was for the prior year (which was the same as the rent for the first lease year).    Get it?  Your rent cannot have gone up during the prior period of you lease because your landlord did not notify you that it had gone up at each annual adjustment date; hence, until the current rental adjustment date, your minimum rent cannot have changed.  Your landlord, however, can increase your upcoming year of minimum rent over the preceding period rent (which is still the same as the first year of your rent) if in fact the actual Comparison Index justifies an increase.

Your landlord cannot decide NOW to go back to the rental rate paid for the first lease year and each following lease year and retroactively increase the minimum rent in order to create a larger rental increase for the current comparison year rental.  Sorry, he has missed his chance.  

Your landlord will probably disagree with this interpretation of your escalation clause and I am not an attorney, so you must consult with a local commercial lease attorney to discover if the local Landlord and Tenant law is consistent with this interpretation.  I believe that the word "Promptly" limits your landlord's option to make retro active escalations now.  Perhaps not.  

Please let me know how this dispute is resolved.

Good luck with your effort.

-Jim

Commercial Real Estate Investment

Jim Avancena, CPM