Commercial Real Estate Investment/Plumbing dispute at restuarant.

Question
Hi Jim! I hope you can give an opinion on my dilemma.  Our family owns a restuarant.  The drainage pipe under the floor had collapsed and is broken.  We cannot use the sinks in the kitchen because of water backing up due to the breakage. we feel that the landlord is responsible to fix it.  The landord says that we should fix it. in the lease agreement it says that the tenant is responsible to fix anything protruding out from the floors, walls and ceilings. So we are interpreting it would be something like a faucet not a busted drainage pipe under the flooring. The landord does not agree. The pipe itself is a "common line" meaning other neighboring tenants drainage goes through the same line. (although they are not restaurants) We had talk to the previous tenants of the space we are renting, and they said they had problems with drainage backing up from time to time. We feel that it had been a progressive problem before and during our lease, and the pipe had  finally broke during our term. In order to fix the busted pipe, the flooring has to be torn up. We feel that this is a structural issue and the landord is responsible.  Our lease is up and we are not renewing.  We did hire a lawyer and he believes its the landord responsibility. I'm just writing you to get a second opinion and if this is going to be a losing battle for us. I don't own the restaurant it belongs to my uncle.   thank you for your help.          
         Duane.

Answer
Duane:

Although a careful reading of your entire retail lease should reveal text that specifically addresses this matter and who is responsible for the repair, your comments suggest that the landlord is going to push you for the cost of the repair based on its interpretation of the germane lease provisions.  Without a copy of your lease to review, and without knowing of any specific lease language to the contrary, this problem is; as you noted, what is referred to as a "structural" flaw and usually a landlord responsibility.  

You say that others can verify that the breakage/blockage was known to the landlord before you moved in and during your lease.  Although I am not an attorney and cannot give any legal advice, if the potential cost to perform the disputed repair warrants, you may wish to have an attorney review this matter.  Your attorney may wish to discover if this might be a landlord "failure to reveal a material fact", a "latent defect", or other legal situation. However, the landlord might also advise your attorney of facts that make the matter even more ambiguous.    

The blockage and breakage of a drain can often be difficult to assign responsibility when a restaurant is involved.  Does your lease require your restaurant to have its own "clean outs" installed?  Can your landlord provide proof that it had the line cleared periodically in the past?   When the repair is made, the actual cause of the blockage or breakage may also reveal who/what is correctly responsible for this repair.  The "common line" arrangement is also likely to complicate resolution.

Good luck.   
-Jim  

Commercial Real Estate Investment

Jim Avancena, CPM