Commercial Real Estate Investment/lease problem

I am in AZ. I have leased a storage unit since 2005.  I have always been given the option to pay for one year in advance for  a 10% discount.  Two years ago a new owner took over and allowed the same terms.

This year in 1/1/2014,  I received a bill which allowed me to pay the annual payment as usual.  The check for 12 months was cashed 1/16/14.  I received a registered letter dated 2/5/14 due to construction, remodeling and other purposes we must vacate our unit by 4/7/14.  

Our lease says  "the lease will be renewed on a month to month, quarterly or years bases (depending upon payment method chosen).  Either party may terminate this agreement upon given written notice of (30) thirty days"

Question - Since they cashed my check, didn't return my money with the eviction notice, didn't even acknowledge having a year of rent payment, can they legally evict me before the end of my 12 months paid period?  

Loss of this storage unit right now would be a financial hardship as comparable unit size and cost are not available in this area.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Sincerely,   Gabriel

hi Gabriel

well for starters, laws vary from state to state and 2nd, Im in Canada so I don't know how much help I can be to you.. that said, I would look at your lease...

is there a provision in the lease for demolition/ construction? your lease should say how this is to be handled.

if there is such a clause and they went by the book, eg give you proper notice, then they should return the money to you prorated, what was used / what is still paid in advance.

if there is no such clause, you could argue this. your lease is a way of holding real estate.

without actually reading your lease, theres not much more I can say but contract law anywhere should be "what's written between the four corners of that contract" everything else is hearsay.

let me know how it turns out.

best, Phil

Commercial Real Estate Investment

Phil Nicols

Legal issues which are specific from state to state.

Licensed Realtor since 1987, Broker Since 1991. Ontario Canada real estate -- Commercial, investment, leasing, business brokerage

Stockwell Realty Corporation

Real Estate Council of Ontario, Registered under the real estate and business brokers act 2002

A few from past organizations I belong to. Now with my own company, it's hard for me to give myself awards.

Dealt with both small as well as regional tenants, individual investors to syndications.