Communication Skills/How to communicate with my 7 year old?

Stacia wrote at 2013-07-23 15:45:52
I am having the same problems with my 6 year old daughter and this article was nice to see. The concern and the "Answer." I've been considering counseling but I'm worried that it may be a little to far fetched this early. I'm having problems with my daughter's father telling or agreeing with her that "I'm mean" because I have rules and boundaries and bedtimes at my house. I believe that when she goes with him she gets to run the show. I want him to help me parent our daughter but he only seems to be making the problem worse and ruining my relationship with my daughter. :(

Communication Skills

Peter Gerlach, MSW

I can answer questions about how to significantly improve your thinking and communication effectiveness, and your relations with adults and kids. I cannot answer legal, medical, grammar, punctuation, spelling, or spiritual questions.

I have studied and taught communication and relationship skills for 40 years, and have been a professional family-systems therapist (MSW) since 1981.

I am a past Board member of (a) a large suburban community mental-health center and (b) the Stepfamily Association of America, and I am a current member of the National Stepfamily Resource Center (NSRC) Experts Council

I have published 6 books, including one on communication skills: Satisfactions ( 2nd ed., 2010); and over 150 articles in the nonprofit educational Website Break the Cycle! -

I have also published articles for and over 150 educational YouTube videos.

BSME, Stanford University, 1959 MSW, George Williams College 1981 Clinical internship U. of Illinois Institute for Juvenile Reasearch (IJR) 1981 Over 100 post-grad courses on a wide range of human-relationship topics

over 1,000 self-referred Midwestern-U.S. adults, kids, couples, and families