Communication Skills/Godfather meaning.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Phil

What is the Dictionary meaning of "Godfather" ?. Is it
related to philosophy, spirituality ?.

Can we termed our Teacher, Coach, Spiritual Guru, Blood relations,
Close relatives etc as Godfather ?.

How we can use this word in English sentences ?. Can you illustrate this with examples ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hello Prashant,

Technically, a Godfather or Godmother is a purely Christian term that refers to a person other than the original parent who is given the mandate to be in charge of the child's spiritual growth.  For centuries that was an important role.  Today in many countries where the Christian faith is practiced, the role has become more symbolic, and it would be rare for a Godparent to actually take the role of spiritual leader to their Godchildren.

If you simply enter Godfather in wikipedia they will give you ample historical information on this Christian tradition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godparent

So if we take the term as it was coined, then the answer to your question about gurus, blood relations etc., would be that no, they can not be termed Godparents as per the Christian definition.

As to its use in a sentence, there is no special designation that would make the term difficult in a sentence.  "Prashant's Godfather came over on Sunday and took him to the cinema." You see, it is simply a noun, a name or title of a person.

I hope this was helpful. Please rate this answer honestly.

Phil L. Méthot

QUESTION: Dear Phil

Thank you.

People who adopt children from Orphanages, Can they be referred as Godfather or Godmother for the adopted child because they are not the Biological Parents of the adopted child ?.

Can they be referred as Godfather from the English dictionary meaning
or the definition may differ ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hello Prashant,

An adopting father and mother are usually called just that; adoptive parents.  That is, an adoptive father and an adoptive mother.  Usually the children who have been adopted merely call their parents, mother and father, mom and dad as usual.

The word Godfather or Godmother would be wrong in this sense, and is not used as such.  Again, the term Godparent is used only in the Christian religion to refer to someone who has been selected by the original parents to take on that role, and then registered as such by the church.  Today it is mostly ceremonial, and very few people would actually assume the original role as spiritual guide.

Phil

Communication Skills

Phil L. Méthot