Communication Skills/to re-communicate or to not re-communicate

Question
Dear Peter,
I have a quick and general question regarding re-initiating contact with someone I much respected.
I am an adult female, who had a great rapport with her former male boss (we are both single - although our rapport was strictly platonic - I'm pretty sure he's gay!)
Anyway, several months ago he left the company & we wished each other well.  A month ago, to my surprise, he sent me an e-mail (through his personal e-mail) while in France.  It was only a couple of lines...to the effect of Paris for the week...thought of you...you must see this city...you were made for it...chat soon...���� was pleasantly surprised, as I always felt an affinity for him.  I responded something to the effect of..󷨡t a lovely surprise...can't believe you're in Paris...interested to hear about the research you're doing...let's grab a coffee sometime when you get back􍊗ell it's been over a month, he's back, and no response.  At this point, should I re-send another email - or did I basically put the invitation out there?  Is the onus on him to now respond, or was I not specific enough with my coffee invite?  I know this sounds a bit juvenile, but I am a very guarded person, and I wouldn't want him to agree to a coffee date out of pressure.  Could it be that his previous email was intended to only remain an email...and no contact??
Thanks in advance for your response!
Olivia.

Answer
Hi Olivia - I cannot know what motivated him to email you. Your invite sounded friendly and clear. His silence IS a response, and can be interpreted in several ways.

I propose that your real issue is why you don't trust your own judgment about if, how, and when to communicate with him. Another issue is why you take responsibility for his feelings and behavior [e.g. "responding to pressure."]

How about emailing something like "I'd enjoy hearing about your time in France. If you'd like to chat sometime, let me know." No pressure.

Which is better for your self-respect: assert your interest [communicate] or don't?

With an open mind, ask yourself "What should I do?" Note the first thing that comes into your mind - that's your answer.

Respectfully, Pete

Communication Skills

Peter Gerlach, MSW