Communication Skills/Public speaking

I really want to get good at public speaking is it just joining a toastmasters?I recently had an opportuinity to speak and give a presentation and almost blew it by telling the3 guy in charge im not capable of doing this.I want to master this before i die Im into tony robbins and stuff i used to stutter i now am a covert stutterer but im self concious even though i have a good appearance and everything What can i do to be successful in this and not die with this music inside me?

Hello Nes. Effective public speaking has several requisites: [1] passion about and knowledge of a topic; [2] a good vocabulary [3] a clear outline of the speech - opening, body, and closing; [4] self-confidence; [5] awareness of the speaking process and the audience;  [6]  accumulated speaking experience in a variety of settings; and [7] flexibility to adapt to environmental problems.

Once you accept these requisites, commitment and practice can help you develop them over time. Achieving stable, genuine self-confidence can be hard if you were abandoned, neglected, and/or abused (traumatized) as a young child. Stuttering may be a symptom of such trauma, and can be reducing by skilled spee3ch therapy.

For perspective on this, see these:

If you have more questions, Nes, please ask. I wish you well on developing this useful social skill! - Pete

Communication Skills

Peter Gerlach, MSW

I can answer questions about how to significantly improve your thinking and communication effectiveness, and your relations with adults and kids. I cannot answer legal, medical, grammar, punctuation, spelling, or spiritual questions.

I have studied and taught communication and relationship skills for 40 years, and have been a professional family-systems therapist (MSW) since 1981.

I am a past Board member of (a) a large suburban community mental-health center and (b) the Stepfamily Association of America, and I am a current member of the National Stepfamily Resource Center (NSRC) Experts Council

I have published 6 books, including one on communication skills: Satisfactions ( 2nd ed., 2010); and over 150 articles in the nonprofit educational Website Break the Cycle! -

I have also published articles for and over 150 educational YouTube videos.

BSME, Stanford University, 1959 MSW, George Williams College 1981 Clinical internship U. of Illinois Institute for Juvenile Reasearch (IJR) 1981 Over 100 post-grad courses on a wide range of human-relationship topics

over 1,000 self-referred Midwestern-U.S. adults, kids, couples, and families