Communication Skills/public speaking

Question
I know people quit when they are almost there i am self concious and want to be agreat speaker should i just joina toastmasters or just practice i want to be successful in this endeavor

Answer
Hello Nes,

I joined a Toastmasters group a number of years ago.  I was already a paid speaker, and had spent 4 years on cruise ships giving lectures.  The advantage of joining a group, however, is the feedback that you get in the evaluations.

No matter how many times you speak, the feedback you get lets you know if you are hitting your mark and getting your message out.  Too many speakers believe that they are good, without any proof in the pudding.

Another advantage of a Toastmasters group is the practice that you get talking 'off the cuff'. That is, being asked to give a mini 1-2 minute talk on something that someone asks you on the spot.  This practice is essential for a speaker to be able to learn to think on the go.

The last bit of advice I would give you, Nes, is to remember that in order to be a good speaker you also have to be a good writer.  Unless you are paying someone else to write your material, (not a great alternative), you need to have a lot of words in your speaker's toolbox.  Knowing the difference between a metaphor and a simile, for example, and when to use them will make a  difference between mediocrity and greatness.

Start doing crosswords to increase your vocabulary and your synonyms. Try not to use banal words, or colloquialisms.  Remember; a speaker must inspire, entertain, motivate, or inform. Sometimes they do all of the above.

Good luck, Nes, and I hope that this was helpful.  Please remember to give an honest appraisal.

Phil L. Méthot

Communication Skills

Phil L. Méthot