Communication Skills/idioms or collocation?

Hi :)
In your opinion, what do you think would be more beneficial to teach international academic students, idioms or collocation? and why do you think that is?

Hello Amirah,

I would suggest that it would be beneficial for students to have a sample of both. Of the two however, idoms are more confusing, and therefore I would suggest that students become aware of the most common ones.

With a collocation, meaning can still be derived from the pairing or grouping of words.  A student may attempt a collocation on their own and get it wrong, but more than likely, the listener would glean intent and therefore meaning.  As for idoms, since they in no way indicate meaning directly, they are the most confusing when listening to colloquial speech.

What is important for international students to understand, is the English is replete with idioms, and if the student feels that a sentence makes no sense, that more than likely there is an idiom at play. Idiom dictionaries are available, in print and electronic versions, and are indispensible for the student of any language.

I Hope this was clear as a bell, and gets your ducks in a row. (I thought I would end with one of each!;-)

Phil L. Méthot

Communication Skills

Phil L. Méthot

For individuals wanting help with public speaking, I can answer most questions dealing with skills, memory,and body language. Essentially the tools required to become a great speaker. For individuals having trouble communicating one on one, or getting their voice heard, or their message across, I can help you with that too. Listening is an important part of communication, so we can work on improving your listening skills as well. If you feel you are not being understood, that is a deeper issue, but we can start here to steer you in the right direction

I have successfully worked with corporations as a motivational management consultant across Canada. I have twice been President of a Toastmasters group, as an Advanced Toastmaster Gold. I wrote the multimedia ebook: "10 Steps to Becoming A Great Public Speaker." My book "Through the Door!" :A Journey to the Self, dealt with self-image and Will Power. Self Image plays a key role in our ability to communicate and listen effectively.

Toastmasters - Currently President of Pointe-Claire Toastmasters (club 9750)

Book: "Through the Door!" :A Journey to the Self by Phil L. Méthot Book: The Weight is Over - A revolution in Thin Thinking by Phil L. Méthot Multimedia Book: 10 Steps to Becoming A Great Public speaker by Phil L. Méthot Articles in,

Canadian Training and Development Group, success Motivation International

Three times recipient of the Presidents club award through the Canadian Training and Development Group and Success Motivation International.