Communication Skills/Reasonable to Ask for Reimbursement

Question
Hi

I have a friend who does not drive. Resecently, she called me up, and asked me to take her somewhere. In order to stop her from thinking of me as a taxi service, the next time, I'm going to say, "sure, if you're willing to chip in for gas." Don't you think this request is reasonable (even though she may resent it?), Even though she says she doesn't make much money doesn't mean I owe her: correct?

Thank you for your opinion.

Answer
Hi Gina - I think it would be be2tter for both of you if you were honest and respectfully assertive. That might sound like:

"[Name,] I know at times you need help getting around. I may or may not be able to drive you, so please don't assume I can. If I'm not able [or willing] to, I'll tell you."

I propose that you are not responsible for her life - she is; so you can say "I'm sorry, no." without guilt. See these for perspective on the communication skill of assertion:>

http://sfhelp.org/relate/keys/rights.htm

http://sfhelp.org/cx/skills/assert.htm

I hope this helps - Pete  

Communication Skills

Peter Gerlach, MSW