Communication Skills/problems

Question
hi Phil I'm having trouble trusting people at my  work place there's this one person who came in to my work place in December I volunteer there  for a few hours one day a week.
 he's working there. he started out nice then he got me in trouble    saying
I'm not working, & that I'm trying to get to know him,  I just asked a few questions my boss had to come in & talk to me about not asking him questions,  & not talking to him in a busy setting.
he talked to me first he asked me questions & then I get in trouble for it.
my question is why do people talk to you & then get you in trouble?

Answer
Hi Ashley,

First of all I appologize for taking so long to get back to you. Usually, I get a notification that I have a message, but for some reason, I was not notified.

Why do people talk to you & then get you in trouble?  Why indeed!

Ashley, there is no one answer as to why people do the things they do like this.  Some people are afraid of getting too close to people and run (telling the boss is running). Others fear for their position on the hierarchy within an office, and so they become overprotective of their  place in the presumed pecking order. It may be that since you are a volunteer there, that this person sees you as an outsider, but who knows for sure.  It doesn't answer why he talked to you first, then reacted to your feedback. Some people, unfortunately are just not nice.

So why did this particular person do it, your guess is as good as mine. The important thing here though,Ashley, is that it upset you and put you in a position to be spoken to by your boss. I can understand you being upset, and it obviously puts you on the defensive.  I would suggest that you keep your vocal distance from this person, and since you are there for so little time that you cultivate your friends elsewhere.  This doesn't mean that you can't be pleasant and freindly at this place, but being friendly and making friends is two different things.

Phil L. Méthot  

Communication Skills

Phil L. Méthot