Communication Skills/Selfish?

Question
Hello, my question might seem a bit lenghthy but I'll try to cut it short. Is it wrong that I ask my mom to get a part time job? For the last seven uears she has been disabled with a back issue. It is painful but she can stillcwork certain jobs and keep her disability pay. In 2014 she was involved in a wreck that totaled one of our cehicles and gave her a concussion. Im a college student and part time cashier at a store. During her recovery, i was taking taxis back and forth to schol, working , and trying to do 4 classes. Maybe im just waek as i was not able to do all and ended up failing two classes. She tells ,e that i need to hrry get a degree and support her better financially. However, her wreck and other uncontrollable things have put us in the financial hole. I want HER to work part time, let me concentrate on school, get a degree, and get on with that. Right now, my check is all we have until her check the first of the month. However, when that comes, our bills eat it up. If she worked, we could have less worry and more stable finances but it seems like she wants me to handle it all. Am i wrong?

Answer
Hi Ashtyn - without knowing the extent of your Mom's disability, I can't judge whether your request of her is "reasonable" or not. There are many jobs (e.g. sales) that can be filled at home via phone and/or computer. I empathize with your wanting to focus on graduating. Your question suggests the two of you are in conflict, rather than seeking mutual compromise. See these:  http://sfhelp.org/cx/skills/ps.htm  //  http://sfhelp.org/relate/vc.htm

Respectfully, Pete  

Communication Skills

Peter Gerlach, MSW