Comparative Islam/alteration of the scriptures

Question
shalom alaikum ( peace be upon you)
SIR
HAD THERE BEEN ANY ADDITION OR ALTERATION IN THE NEW TESTAMENT? MANY MUSLIMS CLAIM THAT TODAYS NT WAS CHANGED AND ALTERED.....
WAITING FOR YOU SATISFACTORY ANSWER

Answer
Dear Mary,

Peace to you! Thank you for your question. The New Testament we have today is absolutely reliable and trustworthy. It was given by God and there is no doubt that he has watched over it.

If you wish to find out a more detailed answer please visit the following links:

http://www.christianityexplained.net/explainedto/muslims/2.html
http://www.christianityexplained.net/explainedto/muslims/3.html
http://www.christianityexplained.net/explainedto/muslims/4.html

Here is some further information on that subject from the website above:

iv) Today's translations of the Jewish Scriptures, known as the Old Testament, are based on the Masoretic text the standard edition of the Hebrew Old Testament. It was prepared by Jewish scholars, called Masoretes, mainly from 500 to the 950 AD (See, 'The World Book Encyclopaedia', Volume 2, 1982, USA, page 222b) Furthermore the translators compared it with a number of other sources still in existence today. The most important of which is the Dead Sea Scrolls, written in Hebrew at about 100 BC. They were discovered in the late 1940's and early 1950's in Palestine. Among the fragments are complete copies or parts of every Old Testament book except Esther, and the variations in the text after a thousand years of copying are minimal. The manuscript evidence for the Christian Scriptures, known as the New Testament (NT), is equally strong. Approximately 5500 partial or complete copies of it are still in existence. That is by far the most evidence we have of any ancient work. Further witnesses include: -About 18000 copies of early NT translations into different languages. -About 86000 citations of different parts of the NT in the writings of early Church Fathers within 250 years of its composition. The oldest known copies of almost half of the New Testament that are still in existence, are dated about 200 AD, that is 130-174 years after they were originally written. It is important to realise that all the main Christian doctrines are contained in them! The oldest copy of the complete New Testament (Gospel) which still exists today is dated around 350 AD, that is 280-324 years after it was first written down. This time span is minimal when compared to most ancient works. No wonder that Sir Frederic Kenyon, former director and principal librarian of the British Museum, a leading expert on ancient manuscripts, wrote: '...the last foundation for any doubt that the Scriptures have come down to us substantially as they were written has now been removed. Both the authenticity and the general integrity of the books of the New Testament may be regarded as finally established.' (Cited in 'Answers to Tough Questions', by J. Mc Dowell and Don Stewart, 1980, USA page 6) For an in-depth study of the matter please see www.domini.org

v) Muslim belief is that the Bible, accepted as being God's word, is not reliable any more. The Quran contradicts this when it says in Surah 10, Yunus, verses 64-65:

'Those who believe and (constantly) guard against evil; -- For them are Glad Tidings, in the life of the Present and in the Hereafter: No change can there be in the Words of Allah. This is indeed the supreme Felicity.' (also Surah 2, Al-Baqarah, verse 85; 7, Al Araf, verses 159; 10,16).
Source: http://www.christianityexplained.net/explainedto/muslims/21.html

Please do let me know if I can be of further help.

Kind regards,

A. Abraham
P.S. Are you a Christian?

Comparative Islam

A. Abraham