Comparative Religious Studies/Religious Mystism

Question
I have no specific religion but I am interested in religious philosophy. I am particularly interested in the mystical aspects of religious experience. Christianity specifically Catholicism has many, St John of the Cross, Thomas a Kempis, St Frances of Assisi, Teresa of Avila to name just a few. In Islam there are also many especially in Sufism, Rumi, Attar of Nishapur, Baha'u'llah. Of course Hinduism and Buddhism have many too.
Is the belief that union with the Divine can inspire direct or escoteric absorption in God? Or do you think mystism is delusional without credibility?
Your opinion on this would be much appreciated.
Sincerely
Steve L

Answer
Steve, the way I see it is there are two main types of mysticism.

1 - the aspirant has a relationship with God and doesn't really lose their individuality
2 - the aspirant believes s/he can literally become God

Some would argue that there's some overlap between these two types. The problem with mysticism is that it involves experiences that usually go beyond words. So words and categories might fall short.

I think some mystics are a bit deluded. I've encountered people who imo think they are more enlightened or holy than they really are. Sooner or later it all gets real.

Comparative Religious Studies

Michael Clark, Ph.D.