Comparative Religious Studies/Closest to truth

What religion is closest to the truth and why?

Interesting question.

Individuals ask, what is the True Scripture?  Why are there so many differing religions, can they all be right? Is the Bible the True word of God? Is Mohammed God’s True Prophet? Is Krishna God’s True and Holy messenger?  Is the Buddha the True source of the real?

Many individuals ask if Christ, Krishna, Shiva, Buddha, or Mohammed is really the ultimate goal, or that Jesus the Nazarene was the one true savior for all mankind.

This is the age-old question of the beginning spiritual seeker and that is, “…what is the best faith, or what is the one true faith or religion…”, and this is a common consideration when becoming involved in any form of real spiritual seeking and investigation.

It is true that many religious systems over history have denoted themselves as the “ultimate” or “one true” basis for the way to God, or to Salvation, or to Nirvana, and in some way, and is some manner each is correct within the confines of their specific and distinct cultural motif.

The Best Faith, or the one “True Religion” is the religion that dictates “itself” as the True Faith, and which is believed by those who adhere to it, meaning if you accept on faith that a specific religion “IS” the one true religion, then that is the truth for you.

Of course when individuals ask such a question they do not want indeterminate and relativistic answers, what they want is an objective answer, meaning they want an answer that specifically defines what is the best faith or the one real religion .

What is the True Religion is not like asking what is the height of the highest mountain, because such a determination can be quantified and verified by others and an agreement between individuals about this “fact” is accepted.

However such a question as what Is The True Religion is not a quantifiable question, it is not like what is the largest mountain on Earth, instead it is an inquiry based within an opinion-belief system arising within the individual, much like What Is the Best Tasting Tomato.

Regardless if a specific dogma dictates that it “is” The One True Religion, this decree can not be verified independently or objectively and as such is not treated as a “fact”.

No less than the great Indian sage and saint Ramakrishna once was asked this very question, and he replied that The Divine was much like a Mother who had many children, and each morning served them breakfast.  One child desired pancakes, one needed fruit, another wanted eggs, and another could only eat toast and jam.  They would argue over which one was healthier, better, or tastier meal, but in the end the Mother served each according to the wishes and needs of the child.  This is because she loved them with her whole heart and could not refuse them anything.  As the children fought and argued between themselves, she continued to serve them each equally and with her love.

Just like our parable above, these distinctions between dogmas, systems, and faiths have unfortunately been the source of some of the most “ungodly” acts performed by men and religions.

Conflicts have plagued Christianity up until modern times, indeed not only are the Christian-Judaic-Islamic faiths in conflict, but the Hindu sects, and the Buddhists have been in conflict with each other, and within themselves for several centuries before the birth of either Christ or Mohammed.

And before these conflicts there is evidence that many, many Shamanistic and Pantheistic groups were in mortal conflict even before the development of Buddhism, Confucianism or even Taoism.

Groups tend to mimic the qualities and characteristics of the individuals that make them up, so it is not God that makes determinations about which faith is the most spiritual, the best, or the Truest, …it is men who do this.

These historical institutions have been in conflict with each other because they mirror the conflicts that exist within those who make them up, and within each individual.  Groups are in conflict because individuals are in conflict.

The historical reasons why groups and individuals that make them up are in conflict are as myriad and varied as the cultures and the people themselves, and too numerous to list, but they break down into primarily fear, distrust, anger and rejection.

We can not understand why social or religious groups are in conflict with each other till we understand why as individuals we create rejection, separation, fear, and anger within ourselves, and to each other.

Krishna, Mohammed, Jesus, Buddha, and the many others who we know of, and of those many more who we do not know of would be the first to accept any who approach them, and the least to deny any individual seeker of the Real, the Truth, and The Divine.

One of the first lessons of real spiritual practice is to gain the wisdom necessary to transcend that which limits, that which rejects, and that which excludes.

The Truth is open, the Truth is available to all, the Truth is accepting, the Truth is not rejecting, and the Truth does not exclude or repudiate another.

When one begins to sense the presence of the Truth, [ and this is an art in and of itself ], then the necessity for dependency upon books, teachings, and statements by holy men to distinguish what is Real and what is not becomes less and less important.

The best weather vane available to any individual who seeks what is True and Real, is a connection to the source “itself”, either through a Guru or real Spiritual Teacher, or even better a directly felt and real perception to the actual present and all pervading Divine Presence itself.

A real relationship to that which supports and maintains both the ordinary, and the extra-ordinary, the inner world and the outer world, the seen and the unseen, “is” the best source.  

It is this relationship to The Divine that supports all where we appear and disappear, it is this that “is” the Real Truth, and “it” is that which is the subject of, and the source of, all books, teachings, sayings, practices, dogmas, yoga’s, and religions.

It is this that “is” Krishna, Christ, Buddha, Mohammed, Sai Baba, Lord Shiva, Brahman, and The Tao.

To be in relationship to The Divine is to be in relationship with Krishna, Christ, Buddha, Mohammed, Sai Baba, Lord Shiva, Brahman, and The Tao.

To be in relationship with one, is to be in relationship with none other.

To be in connection to The Divine, the Mystery of this moment, and the next moment is to be in connection to The Truth, The Real, and is not dependent upon, nor requires beliefs, or assumptions, or all varied forms of ways and means, or dogmas, or mantras, or priests, or prayers.

This is what I aspire, and this is what attracts me, this is what I adhere myself to, this is what I have perceived.

I cry and long for my Be-Loved One who supports and maintains this simple moment.

I cry and long for my Friend of all friends.

I cry and long for that which is the source of all attractions and desires within all things, processes and individuals.

I cry and long for that which “is” the Heart of all, and who is the Mystery of my own appearance here and now.

I hope that this was helpful, and take care.

Comparative Religious Studies

Is there a God? What is religion? What is evil? What is Good? What is Sin? Who wrote the Bible? Is there a heaven? Is there a Hell? Why do we exist? What is Spirituality? What is Love?

I have studied Comparative Religions for 25 years. I have been a formal student of Adi Da Samraj. My current area of study are the complete aspects of the Devotee/Guru relationship.