Competency Mapping and Modeling/competencies

Question
What is the importance of competency mapping in present day organisation? what can be the effective behavioural and functional competencies of an organisation?

Answer
Competency is a new name today. Leadership Traits, Skill, Capability etc were the words in the past related to people development. Competency mapping is a process of deciding which specific competencies (Skill,Knowledge, Experience, Attitude, Values) are required for different job levels of an organisation. C-Mapping becomes a guideline for managers to match the capability of the person Vs the Position. It also helps an individual to know which competencies one need to develop to move up. It helps selection process since you focus on specific need of organisation to know whether an incumbent displays the required competencies or not, thus saving time. Competency based Promotions shall becomes an objective policy since others know that an employee is promoted since he displays competencies better than others  that are required at a higher level. In the competency based Performance Management system, the ability to develop new competencies that are required by the business is measured. All these add greater value for any business.

Effective Behavioural and Functional competencies must be internally developed for an organisation with the help of Competency Experts, Functional Experts and HR Leaders. The short cut of copying competencies will be a futile exercise, since it will not be owned by employees, as it is not developed involving them,specifically the star performers.

Competency Mapping and Modeling

Chandramowly