Competency Mapping and Modeling/Role of Managers

List down the role of a Line manager and an HR manager in:
1. Recruitment & Selection
2. Appraisals
3. Training

Line Managers has direct responsibility and the HR manger plays the role of a facilitator.

Line Manager has the direct responsibility for Recruitment, Performance Management and Employee development and HR Manager provides the required support of processes.

Line Manager as an indenter will approach HR for filling up a position. HR will interact with Line manager and prepares a Job Description. HR also ensures that the recruitment and selection processes are followed, suitable candidates are procured, interviewed, assessed and the right fit is selected.

Appraisal is about performance management. Line manager has the responsibility to measure the performance of an employee in a certain period. HR will provide the process help, the form, evaluation methodology and will ensure that the appraisal is in line with the guidelines provided.

Training is the area of employee development. Line manager must ensure to provide the inputs of developmental needs to an employee, which comes out of appraisal. HR has responsibility to organize suitable developmental activity for the learner and Line manager has to ensure that the employee is allowed to attend such programs of development and evaluate the effect of such training.  

Competency Mapping and Modeling

Can answer any question in the areas of Competency Architecture which includes, modeling, mapping, assessment, competency based HR practices and its implementation and drafting of dictionaries. May not be able to provide answers to questions that are individual specific or organisational specific which are to be worked out offline.

I am working in HR arena from last 25 years head quartered at Bangalore/India. My past positions include Country HR Head (Praxair India, American MNC), HR Head PSI Bull (Erstwhile Indian IT leader), and Bosch (manufacturing). Had a good exposure working in MNCs and traveled around.

All writings over 100 articles published, are posted on

o M.A (Literature and Anthropology) o B.Sc., (Physics, Chemistry Mathematics) o PG in HR, Competency Modeling USA/Singapore

Competency Modeling, Mapping, Assessment is my core activity from last 10 years. I have been engaged in developing competency models, writing Competency Dictionaries (both leadership and functional). Some of the companies for which I developed competency models and competency based practices include GMR Group (india), Praxair India, Shahi Exports, Quasar Innovations, Astrazeneca, 3 M, Nokia, etc.