Competency Mapping and Modeling/distinguishing between the elements of a competency framework

Question
QUESTION: Dear Chandramowly,
Can you refer me to a source or explain to me the difference between the different elements of a competency framework? I mean the differences between: Competency area, competency unit competency standard, competency elements and indicators of performance.
Hashem

ANSWER: Competency is the name used for that holistic combination of Skill, Knowledge, Experience, Motive and Values. Competency areas could be many. Technical, Leadership, Functional etc. Competency Units are defined in a customised way and can not be generalised beyond to some extent. Standard Competencies arepublished by some private agencies.

You can go through the book "Competence at Work" by Lyle M. Spencer  (http://www.amazon.in/Competence-Work-Models-Superior-Performance/dp/047154809X).

Performance Indicators are developed by using competency based approach. Ex:A competency such as  Leadership acumen can have performance indicators such as " Beginner" "skilled", "Highly Skilled" "Expert" etc.

QUESTION: Hello again Chandramowly,
Perhaps discussing some examples might clarify things.
Search please for GLA competency framework on google.

https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=GLA+competency+framework&hl=ar&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_arJO549JO554&q=GLA+competency+framework&gs_l=hp..0.0.0.0.0.8185...........0.fwwJgEEfbJs

The PDF talks about competencies and indicators of effective performance for these competencies.
On P.4 level 4, "understands the complexities of political dynamics and uses this to manage relationships and resolve conflict effectively" is listed as an indicator for the competency "Building and Managing relationships".
my question: I think that "understands the complexities  of political dynamics and uses this to manage relationships and resolve conflict effectively" requires knowledge and skills so why is it not considered a competency?

Also, search for "competency framework for teachers" Western Australian.

https://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=GLA+competency+framework&hl=ar&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_arJO549JO554&q=GLA+competency+framework&gs_l=hp..0.0.0.0.0.8185...........0.fwwJgEEfbJs#hl=ar&q=%22competency+framework+for+teachers%22+Western+Australian

On p.20 of the pdf, "promote student learning" is listed as a critical element of the competency "engage students in purposeful and appropriate learning experiences" which is listed as part of the dimension "facilitating student learning". My question: I think that all three levels require knowledge and skills so why aren't all of them listed as competencies?
Hashem

Answer

Your question: I think that "understands the complexities  of political dynamics and uses this to manage relationships and resolve conflict effectively" requires knowledge and skills so why is it not considered a competency?

"understands the complexities  of political dynamics and uses this to manage relationships and resolve conflict effectively" : This is called a behavioural indicator for level 4. All such behavioural indicators are specified under A COMPETENCY, in this case it corresponds to a Competency called

The word competency denotes a holistic definition of a Leadership trait. In this case it is BUILDING AND MANAGING RELATIONSHIPS.  How this competency is demonstrated is through behavioural indicators. That is the spokes of the Competency wheel.  Same answer is applicable to your other question.

"promote student learning" is listed as a critical element of the competency "engage students in purposeful and appropriate learning experiences" which is listed as part of the dimension "facilitating student learning". My question: I think that all three levels require knowledge and skills so why aren't all of them:

All levels require knowledge and skills but at different Levels. So different indicators are to be defined under a Competency. If communication is Competency, A receptionist or Security at the office gate Communicates to a Customer. The Chairman of the same company also communicates. Both are different levels of communication competencies. Though the indicators display skill and knowledge, we can not call  that itself as a Competency since we have taken that name for a broader meaning. Otherwise every statement under competency will have skill and knowledge and if you call all as competency, it will be difficult to understand, Levels and behavioural indicators.

Competency Mapping and Modeling

Chandramowly