Competency Mapping and Modeling/workmen relations

in a public sector undertaking plant, technicians and some important workmen are habitually working on Over Time for the work which they supposed to complete In Time. They are enjoying the OT wages continually. Any attempt to control such attitude of workmen is leading to unrest among the workmen. and the officers who attempts such trials are intentionally failed by workmen non-support in running the plant.

How such attitude of workmen can be changed?

Overtime must be avoided as it tends to form its own culture of workmen attempting to work-slow to generate overtime hours. If the management wants to stop this, they can increase manpower, so that the work is done within the prescribed hours and implement "engagement" culture through effective supervision with time and motion study parameters. If the OT system has started recently, it can be stopped but if it is practiced from long time, it takes more effort, investment and long term planning to change it. Attitude can be changed only by defining and practicing consequences. Mere teaching and training will have little effect on attitudinal change since it is driven by self.  

Competency Mapping and Modeling

Can answer any question in the areas of Competency Architecture which includes, modeling, mapping, assessment, competency based HR practices and its implementation and drafting of dictionaries. May not be able to provide answers to questions that are individual specific or organisational specific which are to be worked out offline.

I am working in HR arena from last 25 years head quartered at Bangalore/India. My past positions include Country HR Head (Praxair India, American MNC), HR Head PSI Bull (Erstwhile Indian IT leader), and Bosch (manufacturing). Had a good exposure working in MNCs and traveled around.

All writings over 100 articles published, are posted on

o M.A (Literature and Anthropology) o B.Sc., (Physics, Chemistry Mathematics) o PG in HR, Competency Modeling USA/Singapore

Competency Modeling, Mapping, Assessment is my core activity from last 10 years. I have been engaged in developing competency models, writing Competency Dictionaries (both leadership and functional). Some of the companies for which I developed competency models and competency based practices include GMR Group (india), Praxair India, Shahi Exports, Quasar Innovations, Astrazeneca, 3 M, Nokia, etc.