Components for Building Computers From Scratch/CPU Problem

Question
QUESTION: Hi I have a desktop computer here with a Asus P5GC-MX/1333 motherboard and it has a Dual Core E2200 processor. Last night I put a different CPU in it and didn't like how the computer performed so I decided to put the orig CPU back in it and cleaned it and put new thermal paste on it and now in the bios it shows that it is running quite hot like around 72 degrees where before it ran at the most around 35 degrees. Would you be able to tell me if I'm having problems or is this normal.
Thanks

ANSWER: If the clock settings on the processor that you tried were different from the original it could be overclocked. However, getting right down to basics, did you double check to make sure the CPU fan is plugged in and see if it is running or not. Also, verify that you have the heatsink and fan seated properly. If the heatsink is not making proper contact with the heatsink the heat may not be dissipating appropriately.
You may not need to take this step yet but there is a good free program called Speed Fan that will tell you temps, fan speeds, and let you vary the speed of the fans. Google it to find it or try www.filehippo.com . It is a safe site.
Let me know how it goes and we will go from there. Start with the basics first.

QUESTION: Hi thanks for the reply. I checked everything that you had mentioned and everything is good. I installed the speed fan program and it shows the CPU temp is 34 degrees and the Core 0 and Core 1 temps are between 33-35 degrees. Is this program fairly accurate?
Thanks

ANSWER: I have never had an experience with it to make me think Speed Fan is inaccurate. I have really trusted the life of processors to it in the past. When I first got into computers and building them I would try to get the most out of every piece of hardware. That of course meant overclocking the processor. I always relied on Speed Fan to let me know the temps. Heat kills computer hardware. Especially processors. Play around with Speed Fan. With just a little time you will learn how to do all kinds of things with it.

QUESTION: After I had wrote back to you I went and took a little closer look at the heat sink and cpu and found that the heat sink wasn't on quite all the way. I took it off and reseated it and now it is running back to the way it was before if not better. Thanks for your help.
Trevor

Answer
Sometimes the hardest thing to do when troubleshooting a computer problem is to not look at the most basic things first. I think in our first correspondence I told you to make sure the CPU fan was plugged up and the heatsink was seated all the way. I'm glad it turned out good for you. I still recommend that you use Speed Fan. If I am not mistaken, you can overclock using it. Just monitor the temps. Thanks for letting me know the outcome.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Keith Davis