Components for Building Computers From Scratch/thebrain900@verizon.net

Question
Every CPU has an External Data Width and an Internal Data Width.

Now the first Pentiume CPU had an External Data Width of 64 Bits.

Now I know this just tells you how mutch Memory the CPU can see.
But the CPU had an Internale Data Width of 32 Bits. And this is how many Bits it could Process at a time.

But if the Externale Data Width was 64 Bits did this not mean it took in 64 Bits at a time?

Or what am I missing?

Answer
Bob,
You know more than I do about bits and bit-rates. However, I do know a little about CPU cache. A CPU will have 3 caches. A cache is like a holding area for data that is accessed by the memory. As soon as data is processed by the processor it is fed into one of the cache in a first in first out sort of way. The channel between the caches and the RAM is the FSB or front side bus. The FSB speed can be altered in most BIOS. However, if the speed is not compatible the system will crash.
This may not be a good analogy to bit rates, but the FSB is like a pipe. The higher the number the wider the pipe. Therefore, the wider the pipe, the more water (data) can pass through at one time. To me 64 bits is the width of the pipe and more data can flow through at once than with a pipe half the width (32 bit).

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Keith Davis