Components for Building Computers From Scratch/adding a microphone

Question
How do I hook up a microphone to my PC?  Do I just stick the end of the plug in a hole at the back of the computer? I have an old microphone I found laying around in my closet - a Labtec  AM-22.  Thanks

Answer
If your PC has a microphone input, yes, that will work assuming the microphone itself works (I'm always somewhat wary of "old devices found in closets"). If your system follows PC99 conventions (most do), it should be a pink jack, located near the other audio plugs.

-bob

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Bobbert