Components for Building Computers From Scratch/adding a microphone

How do I hook up a microphone to my PC?  Do I just stick the end of the plug in a hole at the back of the computer? I have an old microphone I found laying around in my closet - a Labtec  AM-22.  Thanks

If your PC has a microphone input, yes, that will work assuming the microphone itself works (I'm always somewhat wary of "old devices found in closets"). If your system follows PC99 conventions (most do), it should be a pink jack, located near the other audio plugs.

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience